Friday, June 21, 2019

How I gained the confidence to do my own injections


"It's all about being patient with yourself."

This is my own experience with injections. I do my injection in my thigh, though it may be different for you. Please be aware!

As mentioned before, I've only recently started doing my own injections. I've been having injections since I was diagnosed at age 7. At first, I had a nurse at hospital doing it for me, and also to show my dad how to do it so that I could have my medication at home. At the time, I was on 25mg of Methotrexate. I later changed to Enbrel EpiPen, but found that I did not like it one bit so I changed to 50mg of Enbrel Vials. 

My dad had been doing my injection for 7 years, not counting my year total of remission. Maybe two months ago or so, I started injecting myself. It was a build up of mixing the vials myself, to putting the needle on myself, then finally holding the syringe to my leg, as if I was about to inject. Eventually, I thought "Screw it! I'm doing it." and in the needle went. To be honest, I didn't even realise I was doing it, and it was over in no time. I realised it's all about being patient with yourself. There's not really much more to it. It did take some egging on from my dad saying,"Just do it. Don't think about it. Just put it in." (Which did get kind of annoying). He did say it was horrible having to inject your own child, no matter how old, but in the long run it is for the best. So I'm grateful for him because if he didn't do my injections at all, I would be a lot worse than I am. 

What topics do you want to hear about next?

-Caitlyn ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long time, no write!

 It's been a very long time since I last wrote anything for this blog. The world, as I'm sure you know, has gone crazy. Over the UK&...